Thursday, December 08, 2011

John Lennon, 31 years gone

It seems unreal to me that 31 years have gone by since John Lennon died on December 8, 1980. Because the Beatles have been such a major presence in our lives it seems they've always been with us.

I read the news today, oh boy, that 52% of the planet's population is under 30. That means they missed seeing the Beatles during their prime. It makes me feel lucky.

I felt terrible when Lennon was killed. My wife was the one who told me and I went into instant denial. It took me a full 12 hours to finally come back to reality.

I don't even have to pull out albums. I have the Beatles and John Lennon's three disk Collector's Tin albums on my hard drive, and can listen to them anytime. When John died the 33 1/3 LP was still the standard. How far we've come in a technology sense, but not so much musically. In that way the Beatles will live on when eventually the surviving members–and even us–are gone.


.

No comments: