Monday, January 03, 2011

Mr Amarachi's message meets me in utmost surprise


I got this letter in my e-mail the other day:
FROM THE DESK OF: MR AMARACHI
AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK (A.D.B),
OUAGADOUGOU BURKINA-FASO,
WEST AFRICA.


Dear Friend,

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL
This message might meet you in utmost surprise, however,it's just my urgent need for foreign partner that made me to contact you for this transaction. I am a banker by profession from Burkina faso in west Africa and currently holding the post of Director .I have the opportunity of transferring the left over funds seven million united state dollars ($7million Dollars) of one of my bank clients who died along with his entire family on 31 july 2000 in a plane crash.You can confirm the genuineness of the deceased death by clicking on this web site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/859479.stm

Hence,i am inviting you for a business deal where this money can be shared between us in the ratio of 60/30 while 10% will be mapped out for expenses.If you agree to my business proposal.further details of the transfer will be forwarded to you as soon as i receive your return mail.

This account has been dormant since 2000 that i have been monitoring it .I do advice you to keep this as a top secret. I wait for your urgent reply once you are interested to be my partner kindly send the below information’s.

YOUR FULL INFORMATIONS
Your Name.
Your Home Addresses.
City.
Country.
Home Telephone.
Private Telephone.
Fax No.
Marital Status.
Age.
Occupation.
Religion.
Your picture.

THANKS
MR AMARACHI
I went to the website with the news story of the Concorde crash in 2000, and it appears legit, but of course Mr Amarachi doesn’t specify for what deceased family his bank is holding the unclaimed money.

I’m also not too crazy about the 60/30 split, with 10% going to “expenses.” Whose expenses? And would I get the 60 or the 30? Mr Amarachi doesn’t say. He also doesn’t say why, of all the human beings on earth, I’m being contacted to help him with this transaction. My guess is he wants me to send him money to get the whole process started. Uh huh.

I’m also fascinated by the “full informations” he wants from me. I can't imagine what difference my marital status would make (but for your infomations, yes, Mr Amarachi, I am married, 42 years on this past New Year’s Day).

I’m also not sure why he would need to know my religion. Mr Amarachi, I have no religion in any traditional sense. Sorry, I don’t even make a religion of money, which I think you do.

Age, occupation, feh. Mr Amarachi, go fish.

A recent story I heard on national news says that for the most part people have wised up to the e-mail games played by these African “bankers” or “lawyers”, but occasionally someone will bite and then get scammed out of thousands of dollars. The latest is that these con artists are targeting Facebook, so the warnings are out. Don’t respond to these bozos.

So, Mr Amarachi, I thank you for your offer, but you go right on ahead and enjoy that US$ 7 million from the frozen bank account of the plane crash victims. I won't be participating. I don't have much money; nowhere near 30 (or 60) percent of $7M, but I intend to hang on to what I do have, and not send any of it to you.

No comments: