Thursday, November 04, 2010

Redneck rockin'

The election results were disappointing to me, but the elections are over, at least. Time to move on.

And 2012 isn't that far away, so the presidential candidates should start lining up in a couple of months. This is the kind of thing that makes me glad the Mayans predicted the end of the world in 2012.

Because I'm sick of politics I've found solace in music, just like I have all my life. Instead of my CD collection I've gone surfing on YouTube. I'm always amazed at what I find there. Lately I've been thinking about the Marshall Tucker Band.I had a'hankerin' to hear some good redneck rock, so I went to YouTube and sure enough, there they were. And here they are, doing their own brand of country rock from the '70s, "Can't You See." The Marshall Tucker Band wore cowboy hats, but played a hybrid music, and even included a flute.




I also found a live clip of Lynyrd Skynyrd doing one my favorite redneck rock songs, "Gimme Three Steps."



I'm not sure Little Feat classify as redneck rockers, but "Dixie Chicken" is sure a redneck rock song. And singer Lowell George is wearing overalls. In this clip from Midnight Special the band is joined by Bonnie Raitt and Emmy Lou Harris, quite a pair of backup singers.

No comments: