Sunday, August 24, 2008

Boogie Olympics

I haven't watched much of the Olympics. Sorry, I just think they have become so bloated, so self-important, that they have taken the fun out for me. I see sports that aren't really sports. It's nice to watch Amazon babes in bikinis whacking a volleyball on the beach, but as an Olympic sport...? C'mon. It's not a sport, it's an activity, quoting sports curmudgeon Jim Rome. (Jim was actually referring to bowling, but to me there isn't a whole lot of difference.)

I think the Olympic games should go for a few days, not weeks, have less pomp and circumstance and more pure athletics. No basketball, no baseball, no water polo, no beach volleyball, synchronized swimming or synchronized diving. I'd like to see marathon running, track and field, swimming and gymnastics.

But if you've just got to have those non-sport sports, how about boogie dancing as an Olympic competition? I think these kids would take gold. Maybe just silver, but they are awfully good. It can't be any harder to score dancing than it is to score ice dancing in the Winter Olympics or floor exercises in the Olympics gymnastics events.

They don't get sand between their toes, either.

No comments: