Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Warped rotors and rubber lips

It's been a hectic week, and it's only Wednesday. Yesterday I had the rotors on my 2005 Ford Escape machined because the fronts were warped. When I braked I got a vibration. No, Brian Wilson, it wasn't a good vibration, either.

After plunking down $420 for rotor grinding, new brake pads all around and a 4-wheel alignment I headed in my now no-vibration car for the dentist. I had his fingers and drill in my mouth for the better part of an hour. I was too disheartened to ask what all of that cost. It's been heavy on the wallet the last few weeks. Hey, Bush, where the hell is that $1200 check you promised me? Did you forget to put a stamp on it?

On the way home I had some coffee, but had the foresight to bring a straw along because the left side of my mouth was numbed. Nothing like trying to drink hot coffee and not be able to feel your lips or tongue. You get more coffee on your shirt than in your mouth.

Later when I went to bed I fell asleep not counting sheep, but the $$$ I'd spent that day. For a guy who wants to save his money and retire within the next year it isn't easy to watch those hundred dollar bills flying away. I have the wallet snapped shut today. Let's see if it stays closed.

*******On another subject, right now in rotation on my car stereo is the CD Under the Covers Vol. 1 by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs. They do cover versions of old songs, some of them once very, very popular ("Monday, Monday," "Different Drum," shown in a live version below), and some obscure but fine songs. It's like someone took my musical tastes of the 1960s and translated them to this CD. Speaking of otherwise obscure, I especially enjoy "I See The Rain" by The Marmalade (1967) and "Alone Again Or" by Love, which blew me away when I heard it. I had the Love album in 1966 and loved it to death. Get it? I loved Love? Oh well, maybe you had to be there.

Really great versions of "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Cinnamon Girl," too. Hey, Matthew and Susanna, since the name of this blog is Paranoia Strikes Deep, have you guys been inside my head, picking my brain for song choices? If you have, c'mon back. I've got a whole bunch for your next CD.

Different Drum, live



Cinnamon Girl, live

No comments: