Monday, April 07, 2008

Mask art


I live in a town just south of Salt Lake City, Utah. When I moved here in 1975 it was rural; there were 6,000 residents, and now there are over 100,000. Our current mayor is trying to put us on the map; we're building a soccer stadium for a pro soccer team, and hizzoner is trying to land us a deal for a major arts complex.

The other day I got this extraordinary mailer from the city. It's a fancy large brochure with these four exceptional-looking masks, attempting to sell us citizens on the proposed arts complex. To find this sort of thing in Utah, especially coming from a municipal government, is more than extraordinary…it's unheard of. I love these masks and want you to see them. The artist isn't credited. Mask #1 can be used either way so I'm showing you both versions.

Click on the pictures for full-size images.

No comments: