Thursday, March 13, 2008

"I'm a ba-a-a-a-ad boy!"


Another sex scandal, another public figure resigns…go figure.

We have so many laws, strictures, and taboos concerning sex that someone, somewhere, is bound to be violating them. I'm still trying to figure out why a guy with everything would put himself in the position to be caught, but I'm sure he'll talk it over with his shrink and find he was addicted to this type of danger and sexual encounter.

He'll write a book that'll be a big seller, go on Oprah, make his public mea culpas, and while he won't ever be elected to public office again, he'll make the circuit, telling his story and someone will hire him as a consultant and he'll be back to his seven figure income in no time. Matter of fact, this scandal might help him. It'll keep his name in the papers for a while, at least.

In the meantime his poor family…magnify how Bill Clinton's family felt when they found out Daddy was getting blowjobs from a girl not much older than his own daughter. That had to feel pretty bad. I can't even imagine what Eliot Spitzer's family must be going through at this moment; the shame and embarrassment must be incredible.

It'd be interesting to see how the Europeans view all of this. They have a much more casual attitude, unlike Americans and their uptight, overly righteous view of sexual behavior. I can't help but think they're amused and once again bemused by America's obsession with matters of sex and public decorum, just like they were with Clinton during Blowgate.

When I was in Nuremberg, Germany, as a young American G.I. during the 1960s, prostitution was legal. For Germans, not for Americans. There were really only two things to do in town for an American G.I., drinking and women, and both of them got a guy in trouble. While I occasionally drank, I avoided the women because they scared me, and because I avoided trouble. I spent most of my time in the barracks, reading or writing.

I wasn't a customer, but I thought it was civilized of the Germans to enclose the prostitutes. The polizei were right around the corner, too, and were there quick if there was trouble. I'm sure they had their problems with streetwalkers just like American cities, but they were making an attempt to contain prostitution. I'm also sure that if German wives found out their husbands were visiting prostitutes they had as much of a problem with it as Eliot Spitzer's wife is having right now.

No comments: