Sunday, May 06, 2007

"Her Majesty's a Pretty Nice Girl..."

The Queen of England was in the U.S. for a few days, and was a spectator at the Kentucky Derby. She also got to keep company with some…urp!…dignitaries, including…gag!…Dick Cheney. Here's a picture I scanned from a newspaper that shows how she was feeling about sitting next to Mr. Happy.

I've been wondering what the protocol is when the Queen arrives? Does someone go ahead of her and tell the President and Vice President what to do and say? Like, "Don't turn your back on her," or, "Please call her 'Your Majesty.'" Wouldn't that be sort of grating for a bunch of self-important politicians to have to kowtow to an appointed-for-life Queen? On the other hand, how often does the Queen come to call?

I picked up some issues of Majesty Magazine at a thrift store a few months ago. Here's a cover photo that was taken back in the early '50s when Elizabeth II became Queen.

Click on the pictures for full-size images.I think the photo shows that even as a young woman she had a queenly appearance, but didn't look as austere and uptight as some of her predecessors.
My wife and I are fascinated by these magazines for showing us a life that seems so impossibly far away. How can I even resent that sort of life? I've never even been close to it, or even cared to. These people are born to it and all of the responsibilities that go with it. I also think the Royals have a tough go of it with all of the duties they perform. They always have to be "on." The latest is Prince Harry who will be going to Iraq as a lieutenant. In other words, the Royals are willing to send a prince to Iraq. Can you imagine anybody in our administration going to war or sending their kids? Fat freakin' chance of that.

OK, your Majesty…hope you enjoyed your visit to the States*, and just thought I'd add, love the hats.

Ciao for now.

*Despite having to talk to our Big Dick.

No comments: