Friday, June 09, 2006

Found Items Part V


It's been a few days since I posted. My head is swimming in sweat from 90º+ temperatures. The first week of June, yet! Probably due to global warming, another source of paranoia.

Actually, our weather people tell us--they tell us and tell us and tell us--that if it's hot like this early on it portends a hot summer. Moan, groan. Luckily, I drive vehicles with air conditioning. When the wind blows the air from the desert southwest north to us it's best to get inside, either a building or car, and crank up the coolness. Unfortunately, I do have to do some work outside during the heat of the day. Some people thrive in desert heat, not me.

So what's this got to do with anything? Well, nothing. I just like to complain about the heat!

Last Friday was the official last day of school and it was also a time when the kids clean out their lockers. I walked into one of the high schools I visit and spotted this sticking out of a garbage can. I walked by it, gave it the hairy eyeball once-over, then did my usual thing in the office and came back. There were a bunch of girls, pep club or cheerleaders, right by the garbage can, cleaning out their lockers. I took this out of the can and asked, "May I have this?" not knowing whether it belonged to one of them, not knowing what someone would say or do if I just plucked it out with half a dozen girls watching. The girls did some eye rolling, did their, "Like, I'm so sure," type dialogue to me. Us older guys are practically invisible to them and they are usually startled when I have the audacity to speak. So I took it.


Some art teacher was probably teaching kids techniques of abstract art, and they were most likely studying artist Jackson Pollock, and his dripped paint technique that earned him the nickname Jack The Dripper.

Pollock was also the subject of a fine biographical movie with Ed Harris and Marcia Gay Harden, Pollock.

The student work I found is on foam board, and right now I've got it in my downstairs studio, sitting on the back of a futon chair. Know what else I like about it? It looks just as good upside down...

...or sideways!

Ciao for now, El Postino

No comments: