Sunday, June 18, 2006

"...birthday greetings, bottle of wine?"


A few years ago my wife bought this music box from Franklin Mint, a partial representation of the album cover from The Beatles' Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I thought of it today when I watched a story about Paul McCartney's 64th birthday on CBS This Morning.

But hey, newsguys…give it a rest. So Paul is 64. So he wrote the song, "When I'm 64", which is a fine song but isn't about him.

So he doesn't have grandchildren named Vera, Chuck and Dave.

I read in a book yesterday that The Beatles (popularly known as The White Album) has sold 19,000,000 copies since being released in 1968. Sergeant Pepper, including the song, "When I'm 64," isn't all that far behind. The Beatles albums still sell because people find their melodies and lyrics irresistible. I'm sure some of their songs will be sung 100 years from now, in the manner of Stephen Foster's songs today. Only instead of "Doo dah," kids will be singing, "Desmond has a barrow in the marketplace…" or, "You say goodbye, and I say hello!"

I also expect when Paul McCartney's 164th birthday is being celebrated in 2106, that songs like "The Long And Winding Road," or "Blackbird," or even the tragically eerie "Eleanor Rigby" will still be part of the popular song lexicon, along with songs by George Gershwin or Irving Berlin.

In the meantime, I hope Paul enjoys his... "birthday, I would like you to dance. Birthday, take a ch-ch-ch-chance!"

Ciao for now, El Postino


No comments: